Happy Summer SMS Families!
As summer gets underway, here are ways you can continue to help Simmons while school is not in session:
- Box Tops, found on the outside of packages, can be clipped and
turned in to the main office once school resumes. Coach Bean
sends them in during the year, and the P.E. department is able to
use the earned money for P.E. equipment for students. To find a
list of participating products, click on the link: http://www.boxtops4education.com/earn/participating-products
- Campbell Soup Labels should be turned in at the main office. Coach Bean also collects these labels and turns them in for P.E. equipment used by students.
- Pop Tabs are collected by Ms. Wade and can be turned in at the main office. The tabs can be found on cans: aluminum, vegetable/soup, pet food, tuna, etc. They are recycled and the money raised helps to fund stays for families at The Ronald McDonald House while their child is receiving medical treatment at local hospitals.
- Publix Partners in Education asks that you show your Publix school card every time you check out at the register. No matter the size of your purchase, Publix returns a portion of what you spend back to Simmons. You do not need a new card every year. Just use the one that says ‘Simmons’ and the school receives credit. You can also swipe multiple cards if you have them for other schools. If you do not have a card and did not pick one up during the year, they will be available again once school starts. Watch for more information.
- Simmons Middle School Wish List contains three items that the school always needs: hand sanitizer, Clorox wipes and Kleenex. The school would appreciate any you are willing to donate since they are depleted regularly.
- Wishing you and your family a safe and relaxing summer -
Simmons Middle School PTO
Thank you for your interest in the Simmons Middle School Parent Teacher Organization. The purpose of the PTO is to promote the welfare of students, to volunteer time and financial support for projects, and to facilitate communication between home and school. Simmons Middle School is a wonderful learning environment staffed with talented and caring administrators and teachers. Our parents volunteer countless hours and provide invaluable support that aides the staff in providing the best learning experience for the students at SMS. Our students are learning to be resourceful, responsible, and respectful, and the PTO is an active participant in that process.
The 2015-16 PTO Board & Committee Members
Anna Fowler, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sabrina Stephens, email@example.com
1st VP of Volunteers:
Starla Wilkins, firstname.lastname@example.org
2nd VP of Registration:
Melinda White, Melinda.email@example.com
3rd VP of Fundraising:
Karyn McRee, firstname.lastname@example.org
Michelle Grant, email@example.com
Michelle Watts, firstname.lastname@example.org
Cathy Bearden, email@example.com
Denise Mayberry, Richard.firstname.lastname@example.org
6th Grade Rep:
Becky Keeney, email@example.com
7th Grade Rep:
Amy Lawrence, firstname.lastname@example.org
8th Grade Reps:
Michelle Berg, email@example.com
Cindy Anderton, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact any of the above PTO representatives with questions, if you are interested in becoming a member of PTO, or if would like to find out how you can help.
The 2016-2017 PTO Executive Board Proposed Slate of Officers
The PTO Executive Board slate of officers for the 2016-2017 school year will be voted on at the school band concert on May 17.
President: Sabrina Stephens
President-Elect: Ginger Owen
1st VP of Volunteers: Angela Allen
2nd VP of Registration: Melinda White
3rd VP of Fundraising: Karyn McRee
Secretary: Michele O'Brien
Treasurer: Marsh Sisson
All PTO members are welcome to attend the monthly meetings. Meetings are a great way to hear from the principal about what is going on at the school and upcoming academic events; to learn about special events or guest speakers being planned; to learn about outcomes of fundraisers and what happens with the raised funds; to plan ways to serve the school for the benefit of our children; and to hear about ways to get involved.
Meetings are held once a month, on the first Friday of every month at 9:15 a.m. The last PTO meeting for this school year was help on Friday, May 6. Please check back to see the schedule and location for the 2016-2017 PTO meetings. Everyone is welcome.
Teacher Appreciation Week: PTO will be hosting the annual Simmons Teacher Appreciation Week activities the week of May 9th. If you would like to help, there are a few ways you can get involved.
Thursday, May 12 is the Teacher Appreciation Picnic Luncheon. We need:
o 2 volunteers to receive donations between 7:30-9 a.m.
o 4 volunteers for set-up, food and beverage
replenishment, hostess and clean-up from 9 a.m.-
o We also need volunteers to provide sides (cole slaw,
chips & dip, fruit, baked beans, casseroles, etc.), and
desserts to accompany the provided fried chicken, tea, and limeade.
If you can help, please sign-up at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080d4aafaf23ab9-teacher4
Take this opportunity to thank the wonderful teachers and staff at Simmons Middle School!